EVDO Rev BAt the CTIA Wireless Show last week (Orlando, March 2007), Qualcomm announced EVDO Rev B. EVDO Rev B uses 3 channels of EVDO Rev A (3.1Mbps) to achieve a maximum speed of 9.3Mbps. Or, take the average speed of EVDO Rev A and multiple by 3 and you get the average speeds of EVDO Rev B.
A Few Facts...
- Software only upgrade for EVDO Rev A Towers
- Requires new chipset for PC Cards (EVDO Rev A cannot be upgraded - you need a new card)
- Available to carriers later this year, could be later 2008/2009 before available?
- Current EVDO Rev A has a maximum of 3.1Mbps, Rev B uses 3 channels to achieve the 3X speeds (or 9.3Mbps).
- Verizon or Sprint have not yet announced they are going to Rev B (yet).
- in a demo we saw, streaming of 8.7Mbps - 9.0Mbps was constant.